Embsay and Bolton Abbey Steam Railway

Historic

These photos are all from F.W.Smith who worked on the line before its closure and has lent the railway photographs and artefacts from his collection. At the moment the photos are in no particular order but eventually I hope to be able to arrange them in some sort of logical sequence. Captions are provided with all the pictures by F.W.Smith. Enjoy!

The photos on this page are all copyright (c) F.W.Smith.


(c) F.W.Smith
Ex-LYR 2P 2-4-2T 10671 of 20F Skipton shed leaving Ilkley with a Leeds to Skipton via Ilkley train in 1948.
(c) F.W.Smith.
(c) F.W.Smith
Stainer Class 5 4-6-0 44813 passing through platform 4 at Ilkley with a diverted fitted freight towards Leeds 21/05/53.
(c) F.W.Smith.
(c) F.W.Smith
Embsay station on 4th August 1964. This station was closed on 20th March 1965 (Saturday). Last train 6:41pm to Skipton. A train of loaded ballast hopper wagons stand on the shed side road waiting to depart as a special train to Carlisle on 6th August.
(c) F.W.Smith.
(c) F.W.Smith
Jubilee 4-6-0 45571 'South Africa' of 24E Blackpool shed storms through Embsay with a Blackpool to York excursion on 22/05/61.
(c) F.W.Smith.
(c) F.W.Smith
Embsay station with 0-4-0ST 'Pony' and 2 other locos. 5th September 1971.
(c) F.W.Smith.
(c) F.W.Smith
Class D49 4-4-0 No. 62775 'The Tynedale' leaving Bolton Abbey Summer c.1952 with a Skipton to York via Ilkley and Otley, Harrogate Summer Saturdays only train. This service only ran for 1952 and 1953.
(c) F.W.Smith.
(c) F.W.Smith
Patriot class 4-6-0 No. 45505 'The Royal Army Ordnance Corps' leaves Ilkley with a return excursion to Whalley Bridge on 15th May 1955 at 7:20pm.
(c) F.W.Smith.
(c) F.W.Smith
J39 0-6-0 No. 64859 passing Ilkley with the Heysham-Tees ammonia tanks on Sunday 10th June 1951. 64859 was LNER No. 1479.
(c) F.W.Smith.
(c) F.W.Smith
Between Ilkley and Addingham, looking towards Ilkley, Bridge 69 carries a footpath over the railway. Bridge 71 in the distance carries the road from Skipton Road to Netherwood Farm over the railway. Both bridges are still in situ, although the cutting has been filled in up to the bottom of the metal deck.
(c) F.W.Smith.
(c) F.W.Smith
The first Diesel Multiple Unit train to pass through Ilkley on an excursion from bury to York on 22nd April 1956. The formation included Metro-Cammell cars Nos. 79081 and 79082.
(c) F.W.Smith.
(c) F.W.Smith
Embsay station yard from the down home signal (see the signal, right) in Summer 1959.
(c) F.W.Smith.
(c) F.W.Smith
Class B1 4-6-0 No. 61220 approaching Embsay with the Saturdays only Saltburn to Blackpool train, 13th July 1963.
(c) F.W.Smith.
(c) F.W.Smith
View from Embsay station footbridge 3rd June 1979.
(c) F.W.Smith.
(c) F.W.Smith collection
Crab 2-6-0 No. 42857 (?) crosses Brook Street Bridge, Ilkley, with an unidentified train, possibly a return excursion into Lancashire in Summer 1955. Taken by Sybil Parry.
(c) F.W.Smith collection.
(c) F.W.Smith
Bolton Abbey station with two coupled Derby-built DMUs with a Bolton Abbey to Leeds train, Sunday 6th September 1964. The last Sunday working of the year and for all time. DMU Nos. 50604/56195 (front) and 50618/56209 (rear).
(c) F.W.Smith.
(c) F.W.Smith
Embsay station, Summer 1959, from the driveway. Note the oil lamp.
(c) F.W.Smith.
(c) F.W.Smith
The Skipton Rock Company's private siding at Embsay with loaded ballast hoppers waiting departure, 1964.
(c) F.W.Smith.
(c) F.W.Smith
Bolton Abbey signalbox on Sunday 6th September 1964 on the last day it was open for passenger trains. The platform had once continued in front of the box, hence the rotting boards below platform level. Livery is blue and white of the North Eastern Region. The box was closed on 12/11/64. Note camping coach behind the box which was by this time disused.
(c) F.W.Smith.
(c) F.W.Smith
Bolton Abbey Down starting signal with Up main home signal above (c.1951).
(c) F.W.Smith.
(c) F.W.Smith
Bolton Abbey signalbox and camping coach taken in July 1962.
(c) F.W.Smith.
(c) F.W.Smith
Camping Coach No. 133 at Bolton Abbey 6th September 1964 (out of use). The coach was ex-GER, built at Stratford Works in 1912 and converted to a camping coach in May 1952. The coach was later sold for 1 to a local P-Way inspector (except for the bogies) and during 1965 was fired. The bogies were later cut up for scrap.
(c) F.W.Smith.
(c) Peter Sunderland
Sunday 19th June 1960. A Class 108 2-car Derby-built DMU leaving Bolton Abbey for Leeds. All the DMUs turned back at Bolton Abbey on Summer Sundays. The signalman is myself F.W.(Bill) Smith. The rotting boards at the base of the signalbox indicate where the platform had been cut back during the early 1950s. The wooden goods shed was also demolished about the same time. The small signal on the right controlled the exit from the two carriage sidings which ran behind the down platform and which formally extended into the now-disused quarry.
(c) Peter Sunderland, F.W.Smith collection.
(c) Peter Sunderland
April or May 1958. Class 4 2-6-4T No. 42093 of Manningham shed stops at Bolton Abbey with a Bradford Forster Square to Skipton train. The porter collecting the tickets is a District Relief Porter standing in for the regular Leading Porter/Signalman, Fred Scott. Note the oil platform lamps and the roller by the seat which was used for rolling the plaform surface which was composed of fine stone chippings.
(c) Peter Sunderland, F.W.Smith collection.
(c) F.W.Smith
Ivatt Class 4 2-6-0 43117 of 20A Holbeck shed arriving at Ilkley with the 1:40pm Leeds City to Skipton via Guiseley and Ilkley Sunday train July 1955.
(c) F.W.Smith.
(c) F.W.Smith
Class 3P 2-6-2T No. 193 after leaving Ilkley with a Skipton train in 1948. Passing 2121/4 milepost and just after crossing over the bridge over the A65 Ilkley-Skipton road.
(c) F.W.Smith.
(c) F.W.Smith
LMS Compound 4-4-0 No. 932 of 20G Hellifield shed has just crossed the first bridge over the Ilkley-Skipton road with the 1:12pm Leeds to Skipton via Ilkley train, Summer 1946.
(c) F.W.Smith.
(c) F.W.Smith
Stanier Class 3 2-6-2T No. 40074 of 20E Manningham shed leaves Ilkley with a Leeds to Bolton Abbey extra train on a bank holiday circa 1952. The barn-like building on te right is now the Grove Promenade shops.
(c) F.W.Smith.
(c) F.W.Smith
Compound 4P 4-4-0 No. 41068 of 20A Holbeck shed approaching Ilkley with the 4:55pm Skipton to Bradford via Ilkley train (5:28pm ex-Ilkley) 1950.
(c) F.W.Smith.
(c) F.W.Smith
Ex-LYR 2-4-2T No. 10795 with a Skipton to Bradford train at platform 4 at Ilkley, Summer 1946. Renumbered 50795 12/48, withdrawn 11/59.
(c) F.W.Smith.
(c) F.W.Smith
Bolton Abbey 15/09/94.
(c) F.W.Smith.
(c) F.W.Smith
April 7th 1994. Craven and District Young Farmers clearing up Bolton Abbey station.
(c) F.W.Smith.
(c) F.W.Smith
Bolton Abbey station 15/09/94.
(c) F.W.Smith.
(c) F.W.Smith
King George VI's Air Raid Shelter at Bolton Abbey station, 23/04/1963. Junior Porter Alan Tillotson looks on. Alan later became a passenger guard at Skipton.
(c) F.W.Smith.
(c) F.W.Smith
Embsay station with the quarry siding through the gate on the right, Summer 1959. Loaded ballast hopper wagons stand at the gate. These have been run down to there by the quarry tractor which was a road mounted vehicle with a steel bumper for moving wagons. All signals are Midland with the nearest ground signal being LMS. The handpoints on the right had to be held over while a dozen or so empty hopper wagons would be fly shunted into the quarry.
(c) F.W.Smith.
(c) F.W.Smith
BR built J72 0-6-0T No. 69023 'Joem' at Embsay station on loan. Mid 70s?
(c) F.W.Smith.
(c) F.W.Smith
Embsay goods yard and signalbox from the footbridge on 18th May 1959. Hopper wagons and plough brakevan on loop waiting for the addition of others from the quarry siding for a special ballast train to the London Midland region. The empty high goods wagons through the goods shed are waiting to go into the quarry for loading.
(c) F.W.Smith.
(c) F.W.Smith
Embsay station in the Summer of 1959. The signalbox is in the blue and white livery of the North Eastern Region. The loaded ballast hopper wagons on the shed side and the three on the down siding are waiting for a special train to the London Midland region. Note the Midland Railway cast iron trespass notices.
(c) F.W.Smith.
(c) F.W.Smith
Embsay with 0-4-0ST 'Fred' in September 1971.
(c) F.W.Smith.
(c) F.W.Smith
0-6-0ST No. 2 'Primrose' at Embsay station, 3rd June 1979.
(c) F.W.Smith.
(c) F.W.Smith
Embsay with 0-4-0ST 'Fred' on 5th September 1971.
(c) F.W.Smith.
(c) F.W.Smith
0-4-0ST 'Pony' receives attention at Embsay on 5th September 1971.
(c) F.W.Smith.
(c) F.W.Smith
0-4-0ST 'Pony' at Embsay station - preserved by the Yorkshire Dales Railway. 5/9/71.
(c) F.W.Smith.
(c) F.W.Smith
Class 37 diesel D.6772, later No. 37072, passing Embsay with the 7N54 Heysham to Tees Yard tank train on th 4th August 1964. Note the brake tender next to the locomotive. Loaded ballast hopper wagons are stabled on both sides of the main line awaiting departure on special trains to the London Midland region.
(c) F.W.Smith.
(c) F.W.Smith
Embsay station in 1959. (Note the old Midland van body stood on upended pipes and used for storing bags of salt for the station.) Also the double slip points followed by the single slip points. The tin shack at the bottom of the signalbox steps was te dry bucket lavatory! The 'box is in the blue and white liver of the North Eastern region of BR.
(c) F.W.Smith.
(c) F.W.Smith
Ex-Midland 2P 4-4-0 No. 406 of 20F Skipton shed pauses in platform 4 at Ilkley with a Skipton to Bradford Forster Square via Ilkley train in 1946. (No. 406 was withdrawn in 1951.)
(c) F.W.Smith.
(c) F.W.Smith
South portal of Haw Bank Tunnel (219 yards) 5/6/58.
(c) F.W.Smith.
(c) F.W.Smith
Brook Street Bridge, Ilkley, 13th June 1966. At this time demolition of the Ilkley to Skipton line was underway with the down line having been removed and the rails cut into short sections. All these rails and sleepers were loaded into railway wagons and taken out over the remaining up line which was progressively cut back itself and bufferstops installed in platform 4. The bridge was itself demolished a month later in July 1966, and Ilkley was once again a terminus as it was before 1888.
(c) F.W.Smith.
(c) F.W.Smith
LMS 2P 4-4-0 No. 414 of 20F Skipton shed with the 9:12 Leeds to Skipton via Ilkley train shortly after leaving Ilkley and after passing over hte first main road bridge. Spring 1950.
(c) F.W.Smith.
(c) F.W.Smith
Bolton Abbey signalbox and station one Sunday in July 1962. The station platform used to extend to just beyond the signalbox (note the rotting planking below platform level).
(c) F.W.Smith.
(c) F.W.Smith
Bolton Abbey rebuilt.
(c) F.W.Smith.
(c) F.W.Smith
Bolton Abbey station - 15/9/94.
(c) F.W.Smith.
(c) Douglas Thompson - F.W.Smith collection
Bolton Abbey looking towards Skipton in the mid-1930s. Note the large wooden water tower and water columns in use.
(c) Douglas Thompson - F.W.Smith collection.
(c) F.W.Smith
4F 0-6-0 No. 44547 on the afternon Guiseley to Skipton SN64 trip pick-up goods shortly after leaving Ilkley in 1950. The train has just crossed bridge No. 77 over Easby Drive. All the bridges and embankments on this section have been removed. Taken August 1950.
(c) F.W.Smith.
(c) F.W.Smith (c) F.W.Smith
A photo and reverse typed sheet describing the Bolton Abbey poster issued by British Railways (North Eastern region). Some original posters are on display in Bolton Abbey station, including this one.
(c) F.W.Smith.
(c) F.W.Smith
Embsay station looking towards Skipton from the signalbox on 22/05/58.
(c) F.W.Smith.
(c) F.W.Smith
Three ?cuts? viaduct over Bolton Bridge Road 26/4/66. It was demolished in 1973.
(c) F.W.Smith.
(c) F.W.Smith
Bolton Abbey station in 1964.
(c) F.W.Smith.
(c) F.W.Smith
Bolton Abbey station looking east in 1964.
Signalbox closed: November 1964.
Station closed: 20th March 1965.
Track lifted: April-June 1966.
(c) F.W.Smith.
(c) F.W.Smith
Sunday 11th October 1964. Ivatt 2-6-0 No. 43051 of 55F Manningham shed. Loading cut up sidings into mineral wagons. See also the train register entry for this date.
(c) F.W.Smith.
(c) F.W.Smith
Relaying track at Stoneacre in 1990.
(c) F.W.Smith.

Top Photogalleries

Yorkshire Dales Railway Museum Trust (Holdings) Limited
Registered Charity No. 1116386
Bolton Abbey Station, Bolton Abbey, Skipton, North Yorkshire, BD23 6AF
General Enquiries: 01756 710614 - Talking Timetables & Fax: 01756 795189
enquiries AT embsayboltonabbeyrailway DOT org.uk webmaster AT embsayboltonabbeyrailway DOT org.uk
Yorkshire Tourist Board

Disclaimer - website (c) YDRMT 2009 -