GOODS TRAIN DAYS
On Goods Train Days a 2-train service operates with a GOODS TRAIN running in addition to the normal steam-hauled service.
This means that you can still ride on the steam-hauled train, but there is also the opportunity to travel in the guard’s van on a Goods Train behind a historic diesel locomotive as we offer a more frequent service.
There are very few opportunities to experience travel on a goods train anywhere in the world, and we are delighted to be able to offer this on Embsay & Bolton Abbey Steam Railway.
Feel the warmth of the guard’s stove; hear the clattering of the wagons in your train; see the Railway from a different perspective!
To ride in the Guard’s brake van on the goods train, you will need to purchase a special supplementary ticket on the day (from the ticket office). They are sold on a first-come-first-served basis for each train, and are subject to conditions. £5 per person per single journey.
Come and ride in the brake van! Join the Guard for a unique rail experience on the Goods Train!
– 27th April
– 22nd June
– 27th July
– 28th September
- Book your ticket online before travelling to the railway, to minimise contact and maximise distancing between staff, volunteers and visitors
- On our standard day services - each booking will be allocated a seat in a private compartment - you will not be asked to share a compartment with another booking.
- You will be allocated a coach letter and compartment number on your ticket which is yours for ONE return trip - our staff will be happy to show you to your compartment.
- All services start and end at EMBSAY STATION BD23 6QX
- Please arrive half hour before departure, a sheltered area, cafe and open air lawn with seating are provided for waiting.
- The train will be fully cleaned before you board - please allow us the time between trains to perform this task.
- Toilets are located at Embsay station and at Bolton Abbey station. There are no toilets open on board the train.
- Masks need only be worn if browsing in our shops at Embsay or Bolton Abbey.
- Hand sanitiser points are located all around our station sites.
- Our staff will be on hand to help with any specific requests.
- Please note, for the duration of the pandemic we are not seling 'Day Rover' tickets. Customers will need to return on the same train (you will not be able to go out on one gor for a walk, then return on a later train)
Join our newsletter!
We'll send you occasional newsletters with news, events and special offers from the railway. We'll never spam you, nor pass your email to third parties. Unsubscribe at any time.