Embsay and Bolton Abbey Steam Railway

F.W.Smith's Collection

These photos are all from F.W.Smith who worked on the line before its closure and has lent the railway photographs and artefacts from his collection. At the moment the photos are in no particular order but eventually I hope to be able to arrange them in some sort of logical sequence. Captions are provided with all the pictures by F.W.Smith. A second page can be found here. Enjoy!

The photos on this page are all copyright (c) F.W.Smith.


(c) F.W.Smith
Ex-LYR 2P 2-4-2T 10671 of 20F Skipton shed leaving Ilkley with a Leeds to Skipton via Ilkley train in 1948.
(c) F.W.Smith.
(c) F.W.Smith
Stainer Class 5 4-6-0 44813 passing through platform 4 at Ilkley with a diverted fitted freight towards Leeds 21/05/53.
(c) F.W.Smith.
(c) F.W.Smith
Embsay station on 4th August 1964. This station was closed on 20th March 1965 (Saturday). Last train 6:41pm to Skipton. A train of loaded ballast hopper wagons stand on the shed side road waiting to depart as a special train to Carlisle on 6th August.
(c) F.W.Smith.
(c) F.W.Smith
Jubilee 4-6-0 45571 'South Africa' of 24E Blackpool shed storms through Embsay with a Blackpool to York excursion on 22/05/61.
(c) F.W.Smith.
(c) F.W.Smith
Embsay station with 0-4-0ST 'Pony' and 2 other locos. 5th September 1971.
(c) F.W.Smith.
(c) F.W.Smith
Class D49 4-4-0 No. 62775 'The Tynedale' leaving Bolton Abbey Summer c.1952 with a Skipton to York via Ilkley and Otley, Harrogate Summer Saturdays only train. This service only ran for 1952 and 1953.
(c) F.W.Smith.
(c) F.W.Smith
Patriot class 4-6-0 No. 45505 'The Royal Army Ordnance Corps' leaves Ilkley with a return excursion to Whalley Bridge on 15th May 1955 at 7:20pm.
(c) F.W.Smith.
(c) F.W.Smith
J39 0-6-0 No. 64859 passing Ilkley with the Heysham-Tees ammonia tanks on Sunday 10th June 1951. 64859 was LNER No. 1479.
(c) F.W.Smith.
(c) F.W.Smith
Between Ilkley and Addingham, looking towards Ilkley, Bridge 69 carries a footpath over the railway. Bridge 71 in the distance carries the road from Skipton Road to Netherwood Farm over the railway. Both bridges are still in situ, although the cutting has been filled in up to the bottom of the metal deck.
(c) F.W.Smith.
(c) F.W.Smith
The first Diesel Multiple Unit train to pass through Ilkley on an excursion from bury to York on 22nd April 1956. The formation included Metro-Cammell cars Nos. 79081 and 79082.
(c) F.W.Smith.
(c) F.W.Smith
Embsay station yard from the down home signal (see the signal, right) in Summer 1959.
(c) F.W.Smith.
(c) F.W.Smith
Class B1 4-6-0 No. 61220 approaching Embsay with the Saturdays only Saltburn to Blackpool train, 13th July 1963.
(c) F.W.Smith.
(c) F.W.Smith
View from Embsay station footbridge 3rd June 1979.
(c) F.W.Smith.
(c) F.W.Smith collection
Crab 2-6-0 No. 42857 (?) crosses Brook Street Bridge, Ilkley, with an unidentified train, possibly a return excursion into Lancashire in Summer 1955. Taken by Sybil Parry.
(c) F.W.Smith collection.
(c) F.W.Smith
Bolton Abbey station with two coupled Derby-built DMUs with a Bolton Abbey to Leeds train, Sunday 6th September 1964. The last Sunday working of the year and for all time. DMU Nos. 50604/56195 (front) and 50618/56209 (rear).
(c) F.W.Smith.
(c) F.W.Smith
Embsay station, Summer 1959, from the driveway. Note the oil lamp.
(c) F.W.Smith.
(c) F.W.Smith
The Skipton Rock Company's private siding at Embsay with loaded ballast hoppers waiting departure, 1964.
(c) F.W.Smith.
(c) F.W.Smith
Bolton Abbey signalbox on Sunday 6th September 1964 on the last day it was open for passenger trains. The platform had once continued in front of the box, hence the rotting boards below platform level. Livery is blue and white of the North Eastern Region. The box was closed on 12/11/64. Note camping coach behind the box which was by this time disused.
(c) F.W.Smith.
(c) F.W.Smith
Bolton Abbey Down starting signal with Up main home signal above (c.1951).
(c) F.W.Smith.
(c) F.W.Smith
Bolton Abbey signalbox and camping coach taken in July 1962.
(c) F.W.Smith.
(c) F.W.Smith
Camping Coach No. 133 at Bolton Abbey 6th September 1964 (out of use). The coach was ex-GER, built at Stratford Works in 1912 and converted to a camping coach in May 1952. The coach was later sold for 1 to a local P-Way inspector (except for the bogies) and during 1965 was fired. The bogies were later cut up for scrap.
(c) F.W.Smith.
(c) Peter Sunderland
Sunday 19th June 1960. A Class 108 2-car Derby-built DMU leaving Bolton Abbey for Leeds. All the DMUs turned back at Bolton Abbey on Summer Sundays. The signalman is myself F.W.(Bill) Smith. The rotting boards at the base of the signalbox indicate where the platform had been cut back during the early 1950s. The wooden goods shed was also demolished about the same time. The small signal on the right controlled the exit from the two carriage sidings which ran behind the down platform and which formally extended into the now-disused quarry.
(c) Peter Sunderland, F.W.Smith collection.
(c) Peter Sunderland
April or May 1958. Class 4 2-6-4T No. 42093 of Manningham shed stops at Bolton Abbey with a Bradford Forster Square to Skipton train. The porter collecting the tickets is a District Relief Porter standing in for the regular Leading Porter/Signalman, Fred Scott. Note the oil platform lamps and the roller by the seat which was used for rolling the plaform surface which was composed of fine stone chippings.
(c) Peter Sunderland, F.W.Smith collection.
(c) F.W.Smith
Ivatt Class 4 2-6-0 43117 of 20A Holbeck shed arriving at Ilkley with the 1:40pm Leeds City to Skipton via Guiseley and Ilkley Sunday train July 1955.
(c) F.W.Smith.
(c) F.W.Smith
Class 3P 2-6-2T No. 193 after leaving Ilkley with a Skipton train in 1948. Passing 2121/4 milepost and just after crossing over the bridge over the A65 Ilkley-Skipton road.
(c) F.W.Smith.
(c) F.W.Smith
LMS Compound 4-4-0 No. 932 of 20G Hellifield shed has just crossed the first bridge over the Ilkley-Skipton road with the 1:12pm Leeds to Skipton via Ilkley train, Summer 1946.
(c) F.W.Smith.
(c) F.W.Smith
Stanier Class 3 2-6-2T No. 40074 of 20E Manningham shed leaves Ilkley with a Leeds to Bolton Abbey extra train on a bank holiday circa 1952. The barn-like building on te right is now the Grove Promenade shops.
(c) F.W.Smith.
(c) F.W.Smith
Compound 4P 4-4-0 No. 41068 of 20A Holbeck shed approaching Ilkley with the 4:55pm Skipton to Bradford via Ilkley train (5:28pm ex-Ilkley) 1950.
(c) F.W.Smith.
(c) F.W.Smith
Ex-LYR 2-4-2T No. 10795 with a Skipton to Bradford train at platform 4 at Ilkley, Summer 1946. Renumbered 50795 12/48, withdrawn 11/59.
(c) F.W.Smith.
(c) F.W.Smith
Bolton Abbey 15/09/94.
(c) F.W.Smith.
(c) F.W.Smith
April 7th 1994. Craven and District Young Farmers clearing up Bolton Abbey station.
(c) F.W.Smith.
(c) F.W.Smith
Bolton Abbey station 15/09/94.
(c) F.W.Smith.
(c) F.W.Smith
King George VI's Air Raid Shelter at Bolton Abbey station, 23/04/1963. Junior Porter Alan Tillotson looks on. Alan later became a passenger guard at Skipton.
(c) F.W.Smith.
(c) F.W.Smith
Embsay station with the quarry siding through the gate on the right, Summer 1959. Loaded ballast hopper wagons stand at the gate. These have been run down to there by the quarry tractor which was a road mounted vehicle with a steel bumper for moving wagons. All signals are Midland with the nearest ground signal being LMS. The handpoints on the right had to be held over while a dozen or so empty hopper wagons would be fly shunted into the quarry.
(c) F.W.Smith.
(c) F.W.Smith
BR built J72 0-6-0T No. 69023 'Joem' at Embsay station on loan. Mid 70s?
(c) F.W.Smith.
(c) F.W.Smith
Embsay goods yard and signalbox from the footbridge on 18th May 1959. Hopper wagons and plough brakevan on loop waiting for the addition of others from the quarry siding for a special ballast train to the London Midland region. The empty high goods wagons through the goods shed are waiting to go into the quarry for loading.
(c) F.W.Smith.
(c) F.W.Smith
Embsay station in the Summer of 1959. The signalbox is in the blue and white livery of the North Eastern Region. The loaded ballast hopper wagons on the shed side and the three on the down siding are waiting for a special train to the London Midland region. Note the Midland Railway cast iron trespass notices.
(c) F.W.Smith.
(c) F.W.Smith
Embsay with 0-4-0ST 'Fred' in September 1971.
(c) F.W.Smith.
(c) F.W.Smith
0-6-0ST No. 2 'Primrose' at Embsay station, 3rd June 1979.
(c) F.W.Smith.
(c) F.W.Smith
Embsay with 0-4-0ST 'Fred' on 5th September 1971.
(c) F.W.Smith.
(c) F.W.Smith
0-4-0ST 'Pony' receives attention at Embsay on 5th September 1971.
(c) F.W.Smith.
(c) F.W.Smith
0-4-0ST 'Pony' at Embsay station - preserved by the Yorkshire Dales Railway. 5/9/71.
(c) F.W.Smith.
(c) F.W.Smith
Class 37 diesel D.6772, later No. 37072, passing Embsay with the 7N54 Heysham to Tees Yard tank train on th 4th August 1964. Note the brake tender next to the locomotive. Loaded ballast hopper wagons are stabled on both sides of the main line awaiting departure on special trains to the London Midland region.
(c) F.W.Smith.
(c) F.W.Smith
Embsay station in 1959. (Note the old Midland van body stood on upended pipes and used for storing bags of salt for the station.) Also the double slip points followed by the single slip points. The tin shack at the bottom of the signalbox steps was the dry bucket lavatory! The 'box is in the blue and white liver of the North Eastern region of BR.
(c) F.W.Smith.
(c) F.W.Smith
Ex-Midland 2P 4-4-0 No. 406 of 20F Skipton shed pauses in platform 4 at Ilkley with a Skipton to Bradford Forster Square via Ilkley train in 1946. (No. 406 was withdrawn in 1951.)
(c) F.W.Smith.
(c) F.W.Smith
South portal of Haw Bank Tunnel (219 yards) 5/6/58.
(c) F.W.Smith.
(c) F.W.Smith
Brook Street Bridge, Ilkley, 13th June 1966. At this time demolition of the Ilkley to Skipton line was underway with the down line having been removed and the rails cut into short sections. All these rails and sleepers were loaded into railway wagons and taken out over the remaining up line which was progressively cut back itself and bufferstops installed in platform 4. The bridge was itself demolished a month later in July 1966, and Ilkley was once again a terminus as it was before 1888.
(c) F.W.Smith.
(c) F.W.Smith
LMS 2P 4-4-0 No. 414 of 20F Skipton shed with the 9:12 Leeds to Skipton via Ilkley train shortly after leaving Ilkley and after passing over the first main road bridge. Spring 1950.
(c) F.W.Smith.
(c) F.W.Smith
Bolton Abbey signalbox and station one Sunday in July 1962. The station platform used to extend to just beyond the signalbox (note the rotting planking below platform level).
(c) F.W.Smith.
(c) F.W.Smith
Bolton Abbey rebuilt.
(c) F.W.Smith.
(c) F.W.Smith
Bolton Abbey station - 15/9/94.
(c) F.W.Smith.
(c) Douglas Thompson - F.W.Smith collection
Bolton Abbey looking towards Skipton in the mid-1930s. Note the large wooden water tower and water columns in use.
(c) Douglas Thompson - F.W.Smith collection.
(c) F.W.Smith
4F 0-6-0 No. 44547 on the afternon Guiseley to Skipton SN64 trip pick-up goods shortly after leaving Ilkley in 1950. The train has just crossed bridge No. 77 over Easby Drive. All the bridges and embankments on this section have been removed. Taken August 1950.
(c) F.W.Smith.
(c) F.W.Smith (c) F.W.Smith
A photo and reverse typed sheet describing the Bolton Abbey poster issued by British Railways (North Eastern region). Some original posters are on display in Bolton Abbey station, including this one.
(c) F.W.Smith.
(c) F.W.Smith
Embsay station looking towards Skipton from the signalbox on 22/05/58.
(c) F.W.Smith.
(c) F.W.Smith
Three ?cuts? viaduct over Bolton Bridge Road 26/4/66. It was demolished in 1973.
(c) F.W.Smith.
(c) F.W.Smith
Bolton Abbey station in 1964.
(c) F.W.Smith.
(c) F.W.Smith
Bolton Abbey station looking east in 1964.
Signalbox closed: November 1964.
Station closed: 20th March 1965.
Track lifted: April-June 1966.
(c) F.W.Smith.
(c) F.W.Smith
Sunday 11th October 1964. Ivatt 2-6-0 No. 43051 of 55F Manningham shed. Loading cut up sidings into mineral wagons. See also the train register entries for this date: DOWN and UP.
(c) F.W.Smith.
(c) F.W.Smith
Relaying track at Stoneacre in 1990.
(c) F.W.Smith.
(c) F.W.Smith
Burley-in-Wharfedale signal box's down starting signal being replaced by a tubular steel post upper quadrant (new post in position). 17th July 1973. This ex-Midland gallows signal was the last intact Midland signal in the Bradford district. The arm from this signal has recently been donated to the Railway, and will be put on display shortly, along with these photographs.
(c) F.W.Smith.
(c) F.W.Smith
Burley-in-Wharfedale signal box's down starting signal being replaced by a tubular steel post upper quadrant (new signal completed). 17th July 1973. This ex-Midland gallows signal was the last intact Midland signal in the Bradford district. Note the wooden signal arm located at the very left of the picture, against the wall.
(c) F.W.Smith.
(c) F.W.Smith
Fairburn Class 4 2-6-4T No. 42682 of Manningham shed, leaving Burley-in-Wharfedale with a Sunday Ilkley to Bradford train in the Summer of 1950. Photo taken from signalbox. The signal is worthy of note in that the new bracket signal at Embsay will be constructed to this design.
(c) F.W.Smith.
(c) F.W.Smith
J39 0-6-0 No. 64706 passing Burley-in-Wharfedale with the afternoon Heysham - Tees Yard tanks on August Bank Holiday Monday. 2nd August 1954. Note the gallows signal as pictured previously.
(c) F.W.Smith.
(c) F.W.Smith
Fairburn Class 4 2-6-4T No. 2682 of Manningham shed about to leave No. 4 platform at Ilkley with the 5:28pm train to Bradford (ex-Skipton) in 1946.
(c) F.W.Smith.
(c) F.W.Smith
View from the footbridge at Ilkley on 6th June 1983 showing the new Hillards supermarket (now Tesco) on the former goods yead site. Note track serving platforms 3 and 4 (former Skipton platforms) is still in situ to the left.
(c) F.W.Smith.
(c) F.W.Smith
Class 31 No. 31 152 arriving at Embsay with 4 Gresley coaches and 1 SR van on 22/02/1981. Several items of stock were delivered to the Railway in the early 1980s using BR diesels and the societly-installed junction at Embsay Junction.
(c) F.W.Smith.
(c) F.W.Smith
Skipton in 1946 with 4F 0-6-0 No. 3999, 1F 0-6-0T No. 1751 and 2P 4-4-0 No. 359 stored temporarily out of use in a siding near the station. No. 1751 probably never worked again as it was withdrawn 7/46.
(c) F.W.Smith.
(c) F.W.Smith
Rylstone level crossing in 1969. Taken from the remains of the station platform, visible in the foreground. Note the mixture of level crossing gates and protecting signals. No guesses for how the former came about...
(c) F.W.Smith.
(c) F.W.Smith
Grassington fixed distant in 1951 beside Bridge No. 36.
(c) F.W.Smith.
(c) F.W.Smith
4F 0-6-0 No. 44547 on arrival at Grassington with an excursion from Leeds via Ilkley, reversing at Embsay Junction with a fresh engine. Whit Monday, 21st May 1956. The handbill for the following year's excursion can be found in our Digital Archive.
(c) F.W.Smith.
(c) F.W.Smith
Ex Lancashire and Yorkshire 2P 2-4-2T No. 10671 of 20F Skipton shed in platform 4 at Ilkley with a Skipton to Bradford Forster Square via Ilkley train in Summer 1946. (Cars now park under this Midland Railway canopy in KwickSave's carpark.)
(c) F.W.Smith.
(c) B. Clarke collection
Ilkley shed after closure in 1959.
(c) B. Clarke collection.
(c) R. Powell, F.W.Smith's collection
Ben Rhydding station down side 18th May 1966. Sidings in goods yard removed.
(c) R. Powell, F.W.Smith's collection.
(c) F.W.Smith
4F 0-6-0 No. 43893 awaiting departure from Grassington on Whit Monday, 21st May 1956.
(c) F.W.Smith.
(c) F.W.Smith
Class 5 4-6-0 No. 44732 leaving Ilkley with the 7.20pm return excursion to Preston on Saturday 10th June 1951. The barn on the right of the picture is now Grove Promenade shops. (The driver is pointing out something of interest to the fireman.)
(c) F.W.Smith.
(c) P.Sunderland, F.W.Smith's collection
Stanier Class 3 2-6-2T No. 40117 entering Addingham station circa 1954.
(c) P.Sunderland, F.W.Smith's collection.
(c) F.W.Smith
Ilkley No.12 Up Main distant from Skipton in 1946 (LMS painted black and white post). The painting of this distant broke LMS regulations that tubular posted distants only should be painted black and white in this manner.
(c) F.W.Smith.
(c) F.W.Smith
2P 4-4-0 No. 323 of 20F Skipton shed is about to leave No.4 platform at Ilkley with a Skipton - Bradford train in 1946. No. 323 was built at Derby for the Somerset & Dorset Railway and taken into LMS stock in 1930.
(c) F.W.Smith.
(c) F.W.Smith
Stanier 3P 2-6-2T No. 40074 of Holbeck shed leaves Ilkley with a Leeds - Bolton Abbey extra train on a bank holiday circa. 1952. The barn type building on the right is now the Grove Promenade shops.
(c) F.W.Smith.
(c) F.W.Smith
B1 Class 4-6-0 No. 61018 'Gnu' leaving Ilkley with the Summer Saturdays only train from Blackpool to Saltburn on 20th August 1955. The signalbox closed in July 1994 and was demolished shortly afterwards. All the goods yard area is now a car park for Tescos.
(c) F.W.Smith.
(c) Anning, F.W.Smith's collection
Driver Frank Burgess, born 8th September 1869, started as an engine cleaner at Manningham shed in 1886 at 17 years of age. He moved to Keighley as a driver in about 1900 and worked on shunting engines in Keighley goods yard as well as passenger and goods trains on the Oxenhope branch. He moved to Ilkley in 1915 and retired there in September 1934. He was badly burnt by a blow back of the fire on entering Bingley Tunnel and was off work for 6 months. The picture shows him after working his last train into Ilkley No.1 platform before retirement in September 1934. He died in Ikley on July 22nd 1960 aged 90 years. The engine is Stanier 0-4-4T No. 6402 which had been his most regular engine for the previous two years. Engine No. 6402 became No. 1902 in early 1946 and BR 41902 after 1948. It was withdrawn from service in November 1959.
(c) Anning, F.W.Smith's collection.
(c) F.W.Smith
D49 4-4-0 No. 62439 'The Badsworth' on the turntable at Ilkley shed in July 1953 with Ilkley signalman Cyril Chatterton.
(c) F.W.Smith.
(c) F.W.Smith
Ilkley shed on Sunday 22nd April 1956. Locomotives on shed were: 3P 2-6-2Ts Nos. 40074, 40112, 40114, 40147, 40178 and 2P 2-4-2T No. 50636. The shed was closed from 5th January 1959 when diesel units took over the service and were stabled in the station. The shed was demolished in 1960 but the engine pits can still be found in the undergrowth.
(c) F.W.Smith.
(c) P.Sunderland, F.W.Smith's collection
Stanier Class 3 2-6-2T No. 40074 of Manningham shed leaving Ilkley No.1 platform circa 1957. Water column with fire devil evident.
(c) P.Sunderland, F.W.Smith's collection.
(c) F.W.Smith
Derailment of a DMU at Ilkley on 5th October 1965. Ilkley Stationmaster Jim Spooner, Signal Inspector Jack Newman and Signalman George Thirkell look on. The Holbeck steam crane is in attendance.
(c) F.W.Smith.
(c) F.W.Smith
Class 5 4-6-0 No. 5043 with the 8.20am Morcambe to Leeds train diverted via Ilkley on Sunday 30th May 1948, passing Ilkley engine shed. The Midland signals are about to be replaced by new tubular steel post upper quadrant signals. The crosses on the new signals denote they are not yet in use. A colour light starting signal stands on this site today.
(c) F.W.Smith.
(c) D.Ibbotson, F.W.Smith's collection
Bridge 37 on the Grassington branch at Linton in 1950.
(c) D.Ibbotson, F.W.Smith's collection.
(c) D.Ibbotson, F.W.Smith's collection
Still intact 33 years later, May 1983.
(c) D.Ibbotson, F.W.Smith's collection.
(c) F.W.Smith
4F 0-6-0 No. 44041 of Skipton shunts Ilkley coal drops on 13th January 1958. Most of the coal via the drops was destined for Ilkley gasworks and would be discharged by the end door indicated by the diagonal white stripe on the 16 ton mineral wagon. The signal was from No.2 platform and was the first and only upper quadrant signal for many years at Ilkley. It still has its early LMS steel corrugated steel arm. It was replaced by a tubular steel post and enamelled arm about 1966 using the outer home signal from Skipton which had become redundant with the closure of that line. It was in turn replaced by a 3 aspect colour light signal in 1985.
(c) F.W.Smith.
(c) F.W.Smith
The first visit of an HST to Ilkley took place on 21st January 1989 with 43107 and 43042 on a St. Pancras to Ilkley and Keighley special.
(c) F.W.Smith.
(c) F.W.Smith
J39 0-6-0 No. 64791 of Neville Hill shed with a return excursion from Harrogate to Ayr passing Ben Rhydding's down distant signal after failure of the Class 5 4-6-0 at Harrogate. Miss Molly Rodgers looks on. Summer 1956.
(c) F.W.Smith.
(c) F.W.Smith
Ilkley platform No.1 with myself in Grammar School uniform stood by 2P 0-4-4T LMS No. 1903, newly renumbered from 6403, in 1946.
(c) F.W.Smith.
(c) F.W.Smith
Caledonian 2P 0-4-4T No. 15227 of Manningham shed at Ilkley platform No.2 in 1947. Note the shedplate in the numberplate position.
(c) F.W.Smith.
(c) F.W.Smith
Prince Charles after arrival at Ilkley on the Royal Train hauled by Class 47 No. 47455. 19/11/86.
(c) F.W.Smith.
(c) F.W.Smith
Signalman Cecil Chatterton (Chat) at Ilkley signalbox circa 1953.
(c) F.W.Smith.
(c) L.N.S. Wooler, F.W.Smith's collection
4F 0-6-0 No. 43960 of Skipton shed working the daily Skipton to Guiseley and return No.64 trip at Ilkley. The engine is shunting the two coal sidings on its return trip to Skipton on 13th April 1955. The goods yard where the engine stands is now part of the Tescos supermarket car park.
(c) L.N.S. Wooler, F.W.Smith's collection.
(c) F.W.Smith
Class 3 2-6-2T No. 40149 leaving Burley-in-Wharfedale with the 12:30 Ilkley to Bradford train on Sunday July 6th 1952. Burley Junction signalbox is seen on the left. Note 'British Railways' in full on the side of the tanks.
(c) F.W.Smith.
(c) Douglas Thompson, F.W.Smith's collection
Ben Rhydding looking towards Ilkley with a Sentinel steam railcar approaching on an Ilkley - Arthington - Leeds train cica 1935.
(c) Douglas Thompson, F.W.Smith's collection.
(c) F.W.Smith
This three arch viaduct over the main A65 road near Menston was on the connecting curve between Menston and Milnerwood Junctions, and was demolished in 1981. The bridge abutment seen through the middle arch was part of the Burley Junction to Milnerwood Junction Otley and Ilkley Joint Line. Both lines were closed in July 1965 and lifted in Spring 1966 when the metal bridge was removed. Photo taken 8th March 1973.
(c) F.W.Smith.

Top Photogalleries

Yorkshire Dales Railway Museum Trust (Holdings) Limited
Registered Charity No. 1116386
Bolton Abbey Station, Bolton Abbey, Skipton, North Yorkshire, BD23 6AF
General Enquiries: 01756 710614 - Talking Timetables & Fax: 01756 795189
enquiries AT embsayboltonabbeyrailway DOT org.uk webmaster AT embsayboltonabbeyrailway DOT org.uk
Yorkshire Tourist Board

Disclaimer - website (c) YDRMT 2009 -