Home - Location - Timetable - Facilities - FAQs - Events - Stately Trains
News - Photogalleries - Digital Archive - History - Shops - Departments
Stocklist - Projects - Signalling - Membership - Volunteering - Links
Slough Estates No. 5
Slough Estates No. 5 dates from 1939, when it was built by Hudswell Clarke (Works Number 1709) for the Slough Trading Estate, Buckinghamshire. It is another saddle tank (with 15 inch cylinders), and was the railway's main locomotive for a long time - there being a large number of photographs of it at work.
The loco worked constantly at Slough Estates until the mid 1970s when she was withdrawn. Bought and moved to Embsay, she was still in working condition, and ran with little attention at first. When an overhaul was required, the smokebox was replaced which was considered a major task. Once other work was also carried out, she ran again, taking on all duties required and performing well. When the second overhaul was required, the work was once more carried out and the loco returned to service.
This engine currently awaits its third overhaul before it can run again. The overhaul required is thought to be very major, from preliminary inspections, and has not been started. However, Slough will be cosmetically restored for the new museum so that she can be put on display. A sister locomotive, Slough Estates No.3, is operational on the Swindon & Cricklade Railway.
More photos of Slough at Embsay